Digital Citizenship "Using Technology Appropriately"
Digital Citizenship can be defined as the norms of appropriate, responsible behavior with regard to technology use.
Nine Themes of Digital Citizenship: For more detailed info click here
1. Digital Access: full electronic participation in society
2. Digital Commerce: electronic buying and selling of goods
3. Digital Communication: electronic exchange of information
4. Digital Literacy: process of teaching and learning about technology and the use of technology
5. Digital Etiquette: electronic standards of conduct or procedure
6. Digital Law: electronic responsibility for actions and deeds
7. Digital Rights & Responsibilities: those freedoms extended to everyone in a digital world
8. Digital Heath & Wellness: physical and psychological well-being in a digital world
9. Digital Security (self-protection): electronic precautions to guarantee safety
Respect, Educate and Protect (REPs)
The concept of REPs is a way to explain as well as teach the themes of digital citizenship. Each area encompasses three topics which should be taught beginning at the kindergarten level. When teaching these ideas the top theme from each group would be taught as one REP. For example the first REP would be: Etiquette, Communication and Rights/Responsibilities. This would continue through REPs two and three. By doing this all students will have covered the topics and everyone would understand the basic ideas of digital citizenship.
Respect Your Self/Respect Others
Educate Your Self/Connect with Others
Protect Your Self/Protect Others
-Rights and Responsibility
- Safety (Security)
- Health and Welfare